What is E-AT?
EAT is a rating used by Google’s Quality Rating Guidelines to rate the quality of the web pages and the content they contain.
EAT is an abbreviation for expertise, authority and trustworthiness of a website. The EAT concept is used by search engines to evaluate the quality of content.
A website with a high EAT score is expected to perform better than a website with a low EAT score.
Does EAT directly affect your website ranking?
There are different answers from different experts on the direct impact of EAT on your website rankings.
However, to understand whether EAT affects your website ranking, you need to first understand whether algorithms can track EAT.
EAT is a fundamental belief in quality content, not specific metrics that crawlers or Google bots can interpret. As a result, Google specifically hires engineers to rate a number of specific websites and rank them based on expertise, authority, and trustworthiness.
EAT analysis is used to ensure that Google’s search results match key human concepts.
Therefore, it can be understood that the EAT score does not directly affect the search engine rankings, but the associated parameters that directly affect the rankings.
So the important question is how Google rates the EAT score. Below is a list of various parameters that affect the EAT rating of websites.
EAT assessment: expertise, authority and trustworthiness
Google rates the EAT score based on the following three factors. While there are many other factors used in ranking a page, the following three are at the core of the implementation.
The expertise of the main content creator
The expertise of the creator of the main content is judged by knowing how good they are at the particular field of work.
Expertise can be assessed when the content communicates with users in an organized manner. When the solutions provided solve the user’s request? Or when users find it easy to jump to the next query on the page.
Remember that expertise changes from side to side. Let’s understand this in more detail.
- A news platform can be considered a high EAT site if it delivers the correct factual information with strict, unbiased guidelines. A news platform should aim to project the right information about all events and help readers better understand the topics.
- Highly knowledgeable health sites should come from recognized sources and well-established scientific agreements. For example, a drug information page should contain accurate and accurate information about the use of a particular drug or its benefits and benefits.
- Pages with high EAT financial information should have adequate legal guidelines and refer to the correct terms and conditions. Such websites should be updated regularly.
- The high EAT ED tech platform should have certified teachers and counselors as well as the right and certified courses for students and learners. Ed-tech platforms usually also provide details and reviews of exams and universities. All of this data should be updated regularly.
- The high EAT job portal should provide career opportunities with valid and secure links rather than links to a spam site.
One thing to remember is that the expertise doesn’t just apply to business and professional websites, there are tons of forums, community platforms that contain user-generated data and informal content. Such websites are also known as YMYL (Your money, your life) sites.
For example, a movie review talk page can establish its authority on regular content updates shared by its members. These “personal views and opinions” can be viewed on the website as shared views of experts.
Author, main content and website authority
The authority of the websites can be assessed using various parameters. Read below to learn how to build authority over your online presence.
- When you or your brand name receive quotes as a credible source of information. It adds to the authority of you or your brand name.
- Sites that receive backlinks from authoritative and relevant websites are also considered authoritative sources. To measure the legitimacy of a site, you can measure the Domain Authority Score, or the score most commonly referred to by Moz as the DA Score.
To maintain a good DA score, you need an extensive network of links to your website. Receiving links from .gov, .edu sites also increases the domain score.
- Brands that get media attention are also an indicator of authority. And the content that appears on the URLs of such brands is also considered authoritative content.
- Maintain a good trust ratio of over 1. The trust ratio indicates whether a website can be trusted to receive and send backlinks. You can check your website’s trust relationship on Majestic.
- A strong presence on social media strengthens the brand’s reputation with a wider audience. If your brand page gets more engagement in terms of likes, comments, shares, tags, etc. it would further help build authority over search engines.
- The brand name, which has become the keyword in search queries, is another parameter that is self-explanatory to the authority of the brand in the online space.
- The Wikipedia page for your brand is a great option for establishing your authority as Wikipedia only publishes properly cited articles. As a result, spam brands or pages cannot have their page on Wikipedia due to a lack of credibility.
Creator, main content and website trustworthiness
Above we discussed the importance of expertise and authority in the guidelines for quality assessments; third is trustworthiness.
Trustworthiness around a brand can only be built if it has a positive reputation and a positive presence among users. Failure to address bad reviews as a brand will leave a negative impression on your prospective customers.
This is what the Google research paper says:
“Stores often have user reviews that can help you understand a store’s reputation based on reports from people who actually shop there. We consider a large number of positive user reviews to be evidence of a positive reputation.
Many other types of websites also have good reputations. For example, you may find that a newspaper (with an associated website) has won journalistic awards. Prestigious awards such as the Pulitzer Prize or a history of high quality original coverage are strong evidence of a positive reputation.
When a high level of authority or expertise is required, a website’s reputation should be judged based on the opinions of experts. Recommendations from expert sources such as professional associations are strong evidence of a very positive reputation. “
Therefore, encourage and appreciate positive reviews on review platforms. Some of the popular B2B review platforms are G2, Capterra, etc. You can add reviews as customer testimonials on your homepage.
Source: Truepush Home
To build a confidence factor on your website, you can focus on the following parameters.
- Have a contact form on your website with reasonable reach and help with email id.
- Maintain a healthy flow of trust. Trust Flow is a metric that measures the quality of your website. It measures the number of backlinks from external sources, the relevance of the linking domains and how much traffic flows through these links.
A confidence score of 10 and below is considered poor, between 10 and 49 is an average confidence score, and a confidence score of over 50 is a good score.
Here you can see the trustworthiness of your website.
- Include your brand’s physical address and location in external sources as well as on your website. Brands that are difficult to reach through one location are an indicator of false and misleading platforms.
- A secure website is a trusted source of information. Make sure your website has an SSL certificate that is a secured website.
- Mention monetary policy on your transaction pages. Communicate clearly about your refund and other related policies.
- Trustworthiness is also seen as part of your content assets. If you provide your customers with well-researched information that will expand their knowledge and answer their questions, then your brand is sure to build trust with your audience.
- If you don’t have content writers, you can hire content experts to add valuable content while increasing trust and authority at the same time.
When Google shows results on search engine results pages, it needs to ensure that the results are of high quality and that it has great expertise, authority, and trustworthiness.
Therefore, adhering to the EAT parameters when creating your website and in content marketing ensures that your brand ranks on the right search terms.
However, it takes time to build the expertise, authority and trust as a brand. However, once that is done it would be easy to get top positions in SERPs.