Disney + launched in November 2019. On the first day, 10 million users signed up for the service.
The streaming platform was originally available in three countries: the USA, Canada and the Netherlands. Disney + has quickly expanded to other international markets and now serves subscribers in 59 countries.
Today, Disney’s global subscriber base has +100 million customers, far exceeding Disney’s original expectations of 60 to 90 million subscribers by 2024.
Read on to find the latest Disney + stats for 2021.
Let’s dive right into the data:
Essential Disney + Subscriber Statistics
- Disney + has 100 million paying subscribers in 59 countries. This is from 33.5 million last March.
- Disney + has one 18% Share of subscription video-on-demand (SVOD) subscriptions in the United States.
- In the final quarter of 2020, Disney accounted for + 6% of all subscription streaming time in the US.
- 65% of US households with a Disney + subscription do not live with children.
- 89% Disney + content is exclusive. No other major streaming service has a higher percentage of exclusive content.
Disney + subscribers worldwide
Disney + currently has 100 million paying subscribers in 59 countries.
The streaming service has been added 66.5 million new subscribers in the last year alone (March 2020 – March 2021).
Here is a table showing Disney +’s global subscriber growth since November 2019:
|November 2019||10 million|
|December 2019||26.5 million|
|February 2020||28.6 million|
|March 2020||33.5 million|
|April 2020||50 million|
|May 2020||54.5 million|
|June 2020||57.5 million|
|August 2020||60.5 million|
|October 2020||73.7 million|
|December 2020||86.8 million|
|January 2021||94.9 million|
|March 2021||100 million|
Swell: Disney, Statista, diversity.
Disney + US Subscription Earnings
Disney + brings a valued $ 2.87 billion per year from the US subscriber base. That’s a 47.39% increase since 2020 when U.S. revenues were down $ 1.94 billion.
Disney + subscription revenue is projected to grow and hit at the same rate in the US this year $ 4.23 billion until 2022.
Here is a breakdown of Disney + US’s estimated annual subscription income as of 2019:
|2019||$ 0.13 billion|
|2020||$ 1.94 billion|
|2021||$ 2.87 billion|
|2022||$ 4.23 billion|
Disney + average revenue per user
Disney + reports average monthly sales of $ 4.03 per Disney + subscriber. That’s a decrease from 27.52% since December 2019, than the average subscriber generated $ 5.56 per month.
The decrease in average revenue per user is due to Disney +’s international expansion. In some regions, prices are significantly lower than in the US or Western Europe.
Here is a table showing Disney + ‘s average revenue per user as of December 2019:
|date||Average income per user|
|December 2019||$ 5.56|
|March 2020||$ 5.63|
|June 2020||$ 4.62|
|October 2020||$ 4.52|
|January 2021||$ 4.03|
Disney + Subscriber Retention Rate
78% Disney + Bundle subscribers keep their subscriptions after 6 months. In fact, the Disney + Bundle has the highest 6 month retention rate of any major streaming service.
Among the monthly Disney + basic plan subscribers (excluding Hulu and ESPN + access) 74% Continue paying for the service after 6 months. This is comparable to competitors: Netflix also has a retention rate of 74%, while Hulu holds 67% of customers after 6 months.
Source: Second measure.
Are monthly or yearly subscriptions more popular with Disney +?
20% of new Disney + subscribers choose an annual plan ($ 69.99 as of January 2021). The rest 80% For new registrations, monthly billing is offered at a price of 6.99 USD.
The proportion of subscribers who billed annually has increased in the last few months from 12% in October 2020.
We’ve recorded the relative popularity of Disney + payment plans since October 2020:
|date||Monthly, annual share|
|October 2020||88%, 12%|
|November 2020||81%, 19%|
|December 2020||80%, 20%|
|January 2021||80%, 20%|
Disney + share of SVOD streaming
Disney + is one of the top providers of video-on-demand subscriptions in the United States 6% all streaming. This is from 5% in the previous quarter (Q3 2020).
Disney + SVOD filing market share
Disney + claims 13% of all new subscription video-on-demand registrations in January 2021 (including free trials). In the previous month, the platform accounted for 19% of all SVOD registrations.
Here is a table showing the Disney + percentage of monthly SVOD filings since July 2020:
|date||Market share of registrations|
Disney + market share of subscriptions
Disney + accounts for 18% of US subscriptions to video-on-demand services. The platform increased its market share last year by 15% in the last quarter of 2019.
In terms of the share of subscriptions in the US, Disney + is the 3 .. most popular subscription video streaming service. Only Hulu (20%) and Netflix (34%) have more market share.
The following table shows the growth in Disney + market share over time:
|date||Share of US subscriptions|
Disney + percentage of net subscribers
In 2020, Disney claimed + 32% of all net subscriber additions among major video streaming platforms for subscription. No other platform has added more network subscribers. HBO Max contributed the second highest net additions with 22% of total net additions.
Disney + gender demographics
A survey by Morning Consult in February 2021 found that male subscribers were composed 52% of the Disney + customer base in the United States. The rest 48% of the subscribers are female.
Among the new Disney + subscribers in the US in October 2020 57% were female.
Source: Consult tomorrow, AERIAL.
Disney + age demographics
Combined, Millennials and Generation Z form 64% from Disney + subscribers in the US.
Here is a breakdown of the Disney + subscriber base in the US by generation:
Among the Disney + viewers who signed up for the service in October 2020, 64% were 35 or older.
Here is a table showing the age breakdown of Disney + subscribers in the United States:
Swell: Consult tomorrow, AERIAL.
Political affiliation with Disney + subscribers
Almost half (44%) of Disney + subscribers in the US identify themselves as supporters of the Democratic Party. 23% of the subscribers are Republicans.
Here is a table showing political party affiliation among Disney + subscribers in the United States:
Source: Consult tomorrow.
Disney + subscribers by location
The largest location demographics among Disney + users are suburban communities 42% of subscribers. People who live in urban and suburban areas form a combination 80% from Disney + subscribers.
Here is a table showing the Disney + subscription breakdown by location category:
Source: Consult tomorrow.
Disney + subscriber racing demographics
62% of Disney + subscribers in the US are white. The streaming service has the highest percentage of non-white subscribers among any major competitor.
We recorded the racing demographics of Disney + subscribers in the US:
|White (not spanish)||62%|
|Black (not spanish)||8th%|
|Asian, other race, or ethnicity||5%|
Source: Consult tomorrow.
Disney + subscribers by income bracket
77% of Disney + subscribers in the US earn less than $ 100,000 a year.
Here is a breakdown of Disney + subscribers in the US, sorted by annual income:
|Less than $ 50,000||43%|
|$ 50,000- $ 100,000||34%|
|More than $ 100,000||23%|
What percentage of Disney + subscribers have children?
35% of Disney + US subscribers live in households with children. The average of all streaming services is 32%.
How many titles are available on Disney +?
Disney + has 2,012 movies and TV shows in its content library as of January 2021.
There are 1254 Movies on Disney +, accounting 62.33% of the general catalog. The rest 758 Title (37.67%) are television broadcasts.
Source: Ampere Analytics.
How much content is exclusive on Disney +?
89% Disney + content is exclusive (not available on any other US streaming service). This is the highest percentage of exclusive content among any major US streaming provider.
For comparison: 83% of the Netflix library consists of exclusive content. 72% of the HBO Max content is exclusive.
What percentage of the original TV shows are broadcast on Disney +?
Disney + claims a 15% Share of all original TV programs in subscription video-on-demand services. Its share almost doubled last year compared to the previous year 8th% in January 2020.
Disney + app downloads
The Disney + mobile app was downloaded in February 2021 10 million times via Android & iOS. 70% of downloads (7 million) came from the Google Play Store, while the remaining 30% (3 million) were from the App Store.
In its first year, the Disney + mobile app was downloaded 100 million times worldwide (excluding India). Most of the downloads came from the US, which was due to it 62 million Installed.
Swell: Sensor tower, Apptopia, Google Play.
That’s all for my list of Disney + demographics and usage stats in 2021.
Disney + has reached 100 million subscribers remarkably quickly, reaching the milestone within 16 months of launch.
The streaming service plans to compete with industry giants like Netflix (which currently still has more than twice as many subscribers). Disney + history will be interesting to see for months and years to come.
Now I want to hear from you:
Do you have any questions or suggestions about the Disney + streaming service? How do you think the platform can hold its own against the competition?
Don’t hesitate to get in touch using the comments section below.